Monday, December 6, 2010

Ton Sai Waterfall

The Ton Sai Waterfall lies on Phra Thaeo Mountain lies about 25 km north of Phuket Town. I opted to put off studying for our exams for a few hours to do some serious jungle exploration.


The preserved area is over 20 square kilometers and has a pretty demanding hiking trail. At times, the trail and the waterfall kind of blend together and you find yourself wading through shallow waters. Also, I didn't see another human during the entire two hours I was there...definitely some welcome solitude.



Walking along the trail I was at times surrounded by the largest bamboo shoots I've ever seen.












I was hoping to see a gibbon because I had read that they are native to the mountain, but I did not. I also did not see any tigers, elephants, or cobras, or any animal life at all, really. But there was plenty of plant life.


The 'Kerriodoxa elegans Dransfield' Palm - apparently this species has not been found anywhere else in the world. If I were a botanist this probably would have interested me a lot more, but I was pretty good with just a photo.





We had our grammar and phonology exams today and I will be getting my results any minute. I only have 6 more days in Phuket. Feels like I just got here, and at the same times feels like I've been here for months. Kind of hard to explain the feeling, I guess.

4 comments:

  1. Seems like you are having a great time bro. We miss you back here in the states. Keep on keepin' on brotha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are amazing Dan...keep exploring!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "mel,...........there were no life forms at all really..........................................................."

    haha I can hear you telling the story as you're typing it

    ReplyDelete