Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dhobi Ghat

On Sunday, my last full day in Mumbai, Steffi and I went to see Dhobi Ghat, the largest outdoor laundry facility in the world.

Dhobi Ghat employs over 10,000 people to systematically hand-wash and dry nearly all of the dirty clothing collected from Mumbai's hotels and hospitals.

Each day, it's estimated that the Dhobis wash over one million articles of clothing.

I had my laundry done (presumably here) on Monday, and now I'm missing a party tank. I searched the whole place for it, but it's gone. There's probably a Dhobi wearing my blue Beerlao party tank sitting out there reading this and laughing at me. I guess I'll get over it.

On Sunday night, I took a night train to Ahmedabad. I'm here visiting another GW friend, Mohit, until tonight when he flies back to the States and I take a night train to Udaipur in Rajasthan. Right now, the temperature outside is 112 degrees Fahrenheit with 50% humidity. Real comfortable. In the last two days we've mastered eating big meals and taking naps. It's quite literally too hot to do anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment