Friday, January 21, 2011

How to Use the Toilet

If there's something exciting happening here in Gwangju, I don't know about it...spending 9 hours a day working with kids basically drains me. But I'm having fun at the school...I'd even go so far as to say that it's extremely amusing at times. After two weeks of teaching Cornell Class, this Monday I was switched to Duke Class, which has the lowest level of 6-year-old students at the school. My friend Kenny was the most recent teacher of Duke Class. All that he told me about the class was that last week, after he told them that they couldn't leave the classroom, two students had intentionally peed their pants, and another student licked the puddle to "see what it was".

So I figured, at the very least, it would be an eventful week. The daily routine wasn't too different from Cornell Class...coloring, reading, it's all the same. By this point, I've memorized both "Sleepy Dog" and "Biscuit's New Trick". I think I'll put that on my resume. Even the kids are bored by the stories and can recite full pages from memory when prompted with just the first word. And this is saying a lot. It doesn't take much to keep these kids entertained. I can draw a picture of a car on the whiteboard and they will be rolling on the floor laughing. I'd say it's probably time for the school to buy some new books.

Duke Class is definitely a messy bunch. After snack time my Korean co-teacher usually has to wash snack off of most of the students' faces and/or clothes. Luckily, for the most part I am able to steer clear of the dirty work.

This instructional sign hangs on the wall in the bathroom right outside of my classroom. I have a few comments to make. First, Step 2's overall message, "I'm taking a pee" is pretty great. No real analysis needed there. But after a closer look, you'll notice that the "pee" is blue. What? Really? There's gotta be a few very confused Korean kids wandering around the school, wondering why they can't pee blue like the little dude on the sign.

But I digress. Apparently, the sign has helped out the kids in Duke class, as we were able to avoid any peeing/pee licking incidents during our first week together. I'm definitely not shocked that these things happened...I mean, sometimes, its a struggle to even get the kids to write their names. But when this happens I just remind myself that they are kindergartners, and it's okay for them to mentally check out every now and then. All things considered, the week was actually really enjoyable. That's all for now. Go Packers.

No comments:

Post a Comment