Tuesday, November 9, 2010

BOS > JFK > YVR > HKG > HKT

First of all, a big THANK YOU to all of my friends and family who have wished me well in these past few days. I was fortunate to spend some good time with many of you during my last week in the States and will miss everyone back home very much. Having said that, I am pretty pumped to arrive in Thailand and get to the beach. Just when I thought I had slyly avoided winter for an entire year, I saw snow on the ground yesterday morning in Boston… typical New England. I won’t be missing the weather back home at all.

Right now I’m in the JFK airport waiting to board the first of my international flights. I will be flying to Hong Kong via Vancouver, then I have another layover before I board my final flight to Phuket. In order to ease the jetlag that the 12-hour time difference will inevitably cause, I will try to confuse my body by taking a bunch of naps rather than sleeping for any long stretches of time, and of course drinking ample amounts of caffeine. We’ll see how it goes, but this strategy has worked pretty well for me in the past. Aside from the napping, during the next 28 hours I will be reading The Kite Runner and indulging in Cathay Pacific’s personal in-flight entertainment system.

Back to the diet: I successfully managed to spend my last week at home without experiencing any major Gluten Attacks. Although I do still inexplicably ingest gluten at times (and pay the consequences for it), I will say that my overall health has improved drastically in the past 8 months, and I would really like to avoid any relapses. Luckily, the Thai diet in itself is largely gluten free, with many of the most popular dishes based around white rice or rice noodles. Of course, I still have to be careful about sauces and the dreaded cross-contamination. But even if I do run into trouble eating in the restaurants, I checked a duffle bag stuffed with a staggering amount of gluten-free food, so I should be okay for a while.

Many more updates to come on arrival, and (hopefully) much more interesting. Peace out, America.

1 comment: