Monday, March 28, 2011

Bukhansan National Park

Today I went to Bukhansan National Park and hiked Mt. Bukhansan, known as the "Guardian Mountain of Seoul". There are nearly 15 peaks, the highest of which is Baegundae at 837 meters.


The national park is massive. It covers more than 78 square kilometers north of Seoul and is filled with different cultural relics and historical sites. As I was ascending the Baegundae trail I visited Cheonchuksa Temple, which was completely deserted.


The temple is surrounded by thousands of statues, all standing in prayer lines. So even though nobody living was around, I was in good company nonetheless.


By the time I reached the summit, there was heavy snowfall and the rocky trail was becoming extremely slippery. But the views of Seoul, and in the other direction North Korea, made it worth the struggle.


And once again, I wasn't alone at the top. Oddly enough, a white cat with a black tail was just chilling at the summit. I tried to feed him some of my kimbap, but he took one bit and wasn't impressed. He just sat there, staring at me...must have been just as shocked to see a white person as I was to see a cat.



Location:Howon-dong,Uijeongbu-si,South Korea

No comments:

Post a Comment