Thursday, March 24, 2011

Goodbye, Gwangju

My tourist visa for Korea expires next week, so my days of working as an illegal here in Gwangju end tomorrow. Here are some photos from my last week at the school, starting with my favorite student, Tristian.


In Chicago Class we had another "excursion", this time going out in front of the school to ride bikes. Even training wheels couldn't help some of these kids.


During an art class, my kindergartners painted pictures using their hand prints. Amazingly, only one student made a mess and covered the table with paint. One out of ten isn't bad.We made our own kimbap rolls for snack, one of the few gluten-free snack times of the last three months...so delicious.


Another day, one of my students, Thomas, spilled his snack all over his chair, then proceeded to sit in the mess. Apparently, I have failed as a teacher of common sense.


Although I've enjoyed it, being a kindergarten teacher certainly isn't my calling in life. After saying "No speaking Korean" an estimated 36271 times in the last three months, I'm pretty relieved that the words will never leave my mouth again. I'll miss all of the teachers here, and I'll even miss some of my students. But I'm excited to stop teaching and start traveling again. On Saturday, I'm taking the train to Seoul to hang out with my friend Sam for a few days before I fly to Beijing next week. He has a Korea blog if anyone wants to check it out: On To The Next One: South Korea.

No comments:

Post a Comment