Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Three Year Olds

In chicago class we had an "excursion" earlier today. This meant going outside and crossing the street to a park. Some excursion.


I blew bubbles and the kids excitedly chased them in the wind. It really doesn't take much to amuse five year olds. There's no daily recess here; I remember having two recesses when I was younger, and then being pissed off years later when we only had one recess. In retrospect I guess I had it pretty good.


A teacher quit on Monday so my afternoon schedule changed. This week, I am with the Yale English Class for three hours every day after lunch. Yale is a group of four students who are three years old...and don't speak a word of English. I'd say that I am a glorified babysitter, but there's no glory in this job. Lowlights from the first three days include rolling a ball back and forth for 40 minutes and practicing using scissors for another 40 minutes. I'm still amazed that I made it through the entire class without once using the scissors to gouge out my eyes.


Boring would be a gross understatement here. Luckily, after the first day I managed to turn my brain off and since then I have been spending the three hours in a vegetative state.


On the bright side, at least I don't have to clean their faces after snack time.

Location:Pungam-dong,Gwangju,South Korea

1 comment:

  1. vegetative? were you allowed to get hammered before class?

    ReplyDelete